Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hemsky Signs for 2 Years with Oilers

He was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st but Czech forward Ales Hemsky will remain an Edmonton Oiler.  Last night, the 28 year-old signed a 2 year extension worth 10 million dollars and flashy winger couldn't be happier   to stay in Edmonton.


"I've been here through a lot, through up downs. It will be tough to leave the place when you see it's changing, a lot of guys coming up and you know hopefully you can make a push for the playoffs and one day maybe win the Cup. So that's why I want to stay here too.  I didn't want to give up after 10 years just to leave and pack my bags." said Hemsky 


Many fans and hockey pundits were very certain that #83 would be moved come trade deadline however, NOBODY saw this coming.  


Whether he deserves 10 million remains to seen, however this is a player who found a home in Edmonton who also enjoys playing with the club who drafted him in 2001.  Hemsky, brings veteran leadership, skill, vision and a scoring touch and recently looked good with Sam Gagner and Taylor Hall.  Sadly his biggest knock during his 10 year career has been his inability to remain healthy for a single season.  


Although what is striking, is that Ales Hemsky is coming into his prime and it is probably about time for him to reach his full potential.  In fact, country-man Jaromir Jagr believes that Hemsky has capability to reach 100 points (perhaps if he were to change teams). 


"I'm 28, I'm not 35.  So I don't think I have to retire next year.  It's behind me know.  Last month I felt great. I'm just looking forward to play more hockey and I think I can have a long career." said Hemsky.


Hemsky has 421 points in 536 career NHL games.

No comments:

Post a Comment