Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Oilers Update- Ladislav Smid Signs for 2 years.

The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed Ladislav Smid to remain with the club for another 2 years.


"I was really happy," Smid said. "The negotiations were smooth and it was pretty quick. It only took a couple days to get done. Both sides could see that I really wanted to stay in Edmonton, so it wasn't a problem and I’m really glad to be part of the team’s future."


The 6'3" 225 pound Czech let it be known to the media and to Oil Country that he wanted to stay an Oiler and GM Steve Tambellini happily obliged by offering Smid a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million per year.


“He presents so much life and energy in our dressing room,” said GM Steve Tambellini about the defensive defenseman.


“He’s a big part of the momentum going forward. He was brought in with these high, offensive expectations and now he’s established himself as a guy who can match up against good, heavy players. He’s very competitive.” said Tambellini.

Smid will enter his 6th season with the Oilers after being acquired from the Anaheim Ducks in 2006.  The 25 year-old has accumulated 4 goals and 40 assists throughout his entire NHL career.  While his stats look somewhat ugly, his toughness and competitiveness speaks volumes as he is the type of player who is willing to drop the mitts when called upon.  Despite the new contract, Smid looks to improve his game. 

 "I've had a slower progression than I’d like. I’ve got to work on my consistency, simplifying my game more. Sometimes, I over-think the situation. I’ve got to be more physical in our zone,” Smid said


“I want to establish myself as a top-four defenceman,” said Smid.




In other news.


Today the Edmonton Oilers have picked up tough guy Ben Eager from the San Jose Sharks.  The deal is worth 3.3 million for 3 years. 


More details to come.


Also, this just in Darcy Hordichuck and Cam Barker have been signed by the Edmonton Oilers

No comments:

Post a Comment